Physics Insights is a resource for the community, developed and supported by the IOP. It provides information and insight about physics discovery and innovation in the UK.
Physics Insights is an important resource in the current political climate – where there is uncertainty around Brexit, the development of the government’s industrial strategy and the formation of UKRI . Initial trials have indicated the potential transformational change it could make to the planning of investment and capability by our community and the national funding agencies.
Working with members, Physics Insights is enabling IOP to better represent the community accurately and in a way that is strongly informed by evidence. Physics Insights forms the basis of a long-term investment into a much stronger evidence base for our policy work.
The data is collected from various sources including UK Research and Innovation , Google Address locators etc. Analysis has been done to find out the following questions
- What is the Landscape of UKRI funding in Physics within UK and worldwide.
- Number of Physics based projects funded in last years ( from 2003 onward)
- Number of physics projects funded by the Leading funding bodies in UK like EPSRC, STFC, BBSRC etc.
- Top organizations within UK Regions those are receiving funds in projects and research- they are categorized in regions giving sense of more and less active regions from research and funding perspective
- Main research categories by number of projects and total influx of funding in over the last period. giving insights of active categories and active research trend
- The number of projects under the topics classification giving us a rough guidance of trends- the data is relevantly incomplete as not all the projects are classified with topics by UKRI- We are putting efforts of doing text classification in the projects text and classify them in our topics taxonomy – this is our ongoing project.
- In the last we have an interactive dashboard with filtering options available to filter the UK projects based on funding bodies, project status( active or closed), broad categories, topics, the organization working on these projects and the amount of total funding .
What is the Landscape of UKRI funding in Physics within UK and worldwide?
The funding bodies like STFC, EPSRC etc. invest in UK as well as outside the UK to promote the Physics research and projects.
The following map illustrates the geographical map of UKRI funding, the number of projects and the total funding been given since 2003 within and outside the UK.
Lead Funds Comparison for Physics
The main funding bodies that are investing in Physics based projects are EPSRC, STFC, BBSRC, NERC, ESRC, AHRC, and NC3Rs
The following dashboard tells us
1- The size comparison of funding bodies based on the projects they are investing in.
2- The bar chart tells the highest and the smallest fund based on the total amount of funding from 2003 to 2018 ( Q-2).Select the boxes to filter the funds.
Top organizations within UK Regions
The dashboards tells us
The regional outlook of the UK, Big organizations/ institutions within those regions based on the number of projects and total fund from 2003- 2018 (Q2)
Select the filter to see the regions and key players in detail.
Main Research Categories by number of projects and total funding
The dashboard tells the projects and total funding amount based on broad categories, select the filters to analyse it within regions, different organizations and broad categories.
UKRI Landscape of physics funding
In UKRI Landscape of Physics Funding, we have developed an interactive dashboard with filtering options available to filter the UK projects based on funding bodies, project status( active or closed), broad categories, topics, the organization working on these projects and the amount of total funding .
Select the filter to select the project/s by start year, organisations, broad categories, topics, lead funding bodies, total amount of funding and the project status